Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tragic Optimism

I haven't posted for awhile, and I'm not sure why. It's been a strange few weeks. In some senses I feel stronger -- physically, emotionally, maybe even spiritually. But in other ways I feel more hollow than ever. I recently read the book, Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl, and it was good. Good in the sense that it has helped me to conceptualize anew some of my thoughts about my journey. Frankl's premise is that one finds purpose in life through finding meaning, and most of us find meaning in one of three ways: work, love, or suffering. In each case, it is up to us to assign the meaning -- in essence, to find the way out. It is a very future oriented approach, especially with regard to suffering. You hold the shards of glass in your hands, and you decide what to make with them now.

At first it is a very empowering idea. Frankl writes as a survivor of four concentration camps, and his account of his suffering is very profound and impossible to argue with. I would not trade places with him. His depth of trauma adds ineffable validity to his book and his brain child, "logotherapy," logo" from the Greek for "meaning." But the reader has to do the work to find the meaning in Frankl's suffering. He doesn't do that within the pages of his tome. He writes his story from a psychoanalytic point of view, and then he writes of his therapeutic approach. As a reader I sensed his forgiving and humble soul, and I admired him for that. But there is no, "why?" there. Included at the back of the book is the written text of a lecture he gave which is titled, "Tragic Optimism." The words tragic optimism resonate. He rejects the philosophical schools (of which I have studied much) of nihilism and insists that life must have meaning. But what is the meaning of 6 million Jews dead while he survived? He doesn't even begin to answer. He acknowledges that his survival was due in marginal part to his optimism and will, but much more so to luck. He urges that a grain of hopeful sand in a mountain despair is enough. I am not so sure.

Tragic Optimism. What a fucking cool two words. I wish that I had been the one to have written that. I feel it. I feel it deep inside. This -- whatever is this -- this is not over, this is not the end of the story. I am still more than hepatic endometriosis. My boy and I went out to watch our first baseball game of the season together on Sunday, and as we stood in the concessions line, we watched a dad holding his son in the line ahead of us. We didn't come into our endo diagnosis craving a child. We came into it horrifically, through pain in my upper abdominal region, and then through ultrasouds and endoscopes and lapraroscopes and MRIs. Infertility was never on our mind, and the possibility of not being able to conceive feels a bit like a fender bender after a three-car pileup. At least it feels like that right now. But as we watched the dad and his son, I felt my sadness meet my joy and something in that became hopeful. There is still life ahead.

There is a song that came into my life just when I needed it most, from just the right person which is part of its gift to me. The lyrics go like this:

Now you can call it the devil, call it the big lie
Whatever it is, it ruins almost everything we try
It's the sins of the fathers, and it's the choices we make
It's people screaming without making a sound
From prison cells in paradise, while we're chained to our mistakes

Well, I don't know when and I don't know how
I don't know how much it's going to cost you
Probably everything
But I know you will go free

You can't see the jailer, you can't see the bars
You can't turn your head around fast enough
But it's everywhere you are
It's all around you
Everywhere you walk, these prison walls surround you

But in the midst of all of this darkness
Yeah, in the middle of this night
I see the truth cut through this curtain like a laser
Like a pure and holy light

I know I can't touch you now
And I don't want to speak too soon
When we get sprung from out of these cages, baby,
God knows what we might do

But I don't know when, and I don't how
I don't know if you'll be leaving alone or if you'll be leaving with me
But I know
You will go free...
~Tonio K. "You Will Go Free" from Romeo Unchained 1986.

1 comment:

  1. Tragic optisim...i do need to read this book. I'd love to see what he has to say and try to internalize what that means.

    ReplyDelete